South Sudan: Miscreants of Ghana Police deported

Ghanaian police peacekeepers accused by the United Nations for sexual misconduct in South Sudan in February were deported to Accra on Wednesday, 29th May, 2018 .

There was no official information concerning  their arrival, especially the number of personnel repatriated and the outcome of the investigations into the scandal, .

Last week, the Director General of the Police Intelligence and Professional Standards, COP Kofi Boakye disclosed that, the IGP’s team to Sudan, had completed its investigations and was awaiting the results of the UN investigators to “compare notes in order to have a complete and comprehensive report”.

He added “Meanwhile the police men are still in South Sudan”.

Notwithstanding, the personnel, who are members of the Formed Police Unit, touched down at the Kotoka International Airport via a chartered flight at exactly 1:30pm

A total of 46 personnel of the Formed Police Unit of the Ghana Police Service were on February 22, recalled from Wau and confined to a base in Juba after a preliminary investigation into allegations of sexual exploitation.

The UN indicated that, it received information that the Ghanaian personnel were allegedly engaged in transactional sex, a clear breach of the UN and UNMISS Code of Conduct that prohibits sexual relationships with vulnerable individuals.

Director of Public Affairs of the Ghana Police Service, ACP David Eklu stated that ,at the time that the alleged conduct of the personnel has put the “image of the police service into disrepute,” assuring an inquiry proceedings will be instituted against them on their return

“The necessary administrative inquiry will be conducted upon their return and if they’re found guilty, they may be reduced in rank or removed from the service,” he said on  TV3’s Sunrise Morning show on February 26.

The Police, he said, wrote to the UN to grant it permission to send a team from Ghana to South Sudan to have firsthand information about the sexual scandal.

Checks  indicate  thatt, the Ghana Police Service, which requested an independent investigation into the allegation is said to have completed its work awaiting judgment from the United Nations.

The Police would however not disclose the findings.