The country for the some years continues to experience intermittent power supply to homes and industries. A situation that many have bemoaned, as it impedes the planning, and sometimes destroy home and industrial machinery.
Last month, the country’s state owned sole power distributor, the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) was taken over by Meralco led private firm, Power Distributions Services (PDS), promising to ensure efficient and reliable electricity supply in Ghana.
The take over, which took effect on Wednesday, February 27, 2019, witnessed the presentation of documents covering the transfer from ECG to the Filipino based Electricity Company by officials of Government of Ghana.
At the ceremony, the Vice President of Meralco, Mr. Ireneo B. Acuna, said the consortium is bringing on – board expertise to turn around the fortunes of ECG and make electricity reliable to Ghanaians.
He stated, “I wish to assure the people of Ghana and all of our local and international partners that PDS is very determined and ready to ensure that the electricity distribution business in Ghana achieves greater level of efficiency, improved customer service and high level of reliability and availability of distribution network,”
But few days down the lane, Ghanaians are already experiencing erratic power supply, which is popularly known as dumsor in the country.
In the wake of the dumsor, which received a lot of bashing from electricity consumers, the Energy Minister, John Peter Amewu, came out to apologise to Ghanaians on behalf of government.
Despite not admitting, the country had returned its dumsor days, he said plans are far advanced to resolve the energy challenges.
While answering a question on the erratic power supply at the maiden edition of the Economic Management Team’s Town Hall Meeting on Wednesday, Mr. Amewu assured the citizenry of relief soon, saying the power situation will be normalized within the shortest possible period.
He said, “First of all, we want to apologize to Ghanaians for this intermittent supply. We are never back to the era of consistent and persistent shortfall in supply. We are in an era where we have installed capacity available but what we have to do is to change that installed capacity into availability.”
The Minister added that, “We are learning from our experience so Ghanaians, we are sorry. This short period is just intermittent. I promise you that from 12th April, you will continue to enjoy sustainable use of your power.”
Notwithstanding, calls for a planned schedule for Ghanaians to know when they will and will not have lights in their homes and businesses heightened.
Against this backdrop, PDS, on Friday, April 5, 2019, has released a time table, detailing places in the country which will have power outages. The schedule has indicated that, eight regions will be affected by the first official load shedding for power rationing.
The load shedding which is expected to hit he affected towns across the eight noted regions in the country, PDS has said, will happen between 6:00am and 6:00pm, citing, :shut down of Atuabo Gas Processing Plant” as the cause for the exercise.
A statement by PDS has noted that “since generation deficit varies, PDS may review the outages depending on the situation upstream (and some) areas may experience outages.”
The decision to begin the release of the schedule was taken at a meeting between PDS, the Volta River Authority (VRA) and the Public Utilities and Regulatory Commission (PURC) on Thursday.
Greater Accra; including Tema, Oti, Ashanti, Volta, Central, Western, Western North and Eastern regions, respectively will be affected by the power rationing. The multi million dollar question however, is that, how effective will this time table be, and can it be an end to the recent dumsor in the country?