The Okyehene Kyeame, Nana Kwadwo Antwi Boasiako, has said five homes at Kibi around the Ofori Panin Fie, palace of Okyehene Amoatia Ofori Panin II, have been earmarked for bulldozing to pave way for the palace’s expansion project, and not 500 as was earlier claimed by Mr Daniel Aboagye, Convener of a group called Concerned Citizens of Okyeman.
Nana Kwadwo Antwi Boasiako told AccraFM on Monday, 6 August that: “The number of homes to be demolished is five, not 500.”
Mr Aboagye had said the homes to be affected have been given eviction notices since December last year and were, two weeks ago, given reminders of the intended demolition exercise by the Okyehene’s Secretary.
The residents to be affected, some of whom Mr Aboagye said have lived in their homes near the palace for over 70 years, are in a state of anxiety as the August-end deadline approaches.
According to him, the residents have petitioned the Minister of Works and Housing, Samuel Atta Akyea, who happens to be a native of the area, to intervene, but to no avail.
Mr Aboagye claimed the Okyehene promised to build houses for the residents to be affected but that has not happened.
Sources within the Okyehene’s palace, however, say those to be affected are squatters who do not own the properties on which they live.