Employees of government’s youth employment initiative, have stormed the office, and vowed not to leave the premises of the Nation Builders Corps (NaBCo) until they get their salaries.
Some of the beneficiaries who have expressed unhappiness, claiming they have been sidelined in the payment of monthly allowance, have vouched to spend nights at the office of NaBCo. They say, they will only leave the place when their salaries are paid.
Speaking on Citi TV on Tuesday, unhappy NaBCo beneficiaries who are battling for two months locked – up allowances explained that, they have undergone all the processes to clear themselves to be paid, but nothing has happened so far. They also claim, some members of the program who are yet to start work are however been paid.
A member of the beneficiaries stated that, “they told us that, we should update our details on the portal, we proceeded and did that diligently but they’ve trashed all these efforts we demonstrated and they’ve went ahead and paid January.”
He went on to say that, “as I’m standing now, some of our colleagues who were having November and December arrears, they paid them January and from the recent information we have from our colleagues who visited the Secretariat, they told them that some of us, who are not yet been validated, they will never proceed to give us the arrears.
That is why we are here and the mission of our trip s that, unless they pay us, we are not leaving NaBCo premise, he added.
Another beneficiary made these comments, when he spoke to Citi TV, Every day the money will come meanwhile, they are paying our colleagues. The most painful aspect of it is that, those who are at home, those who haven’t received placement yet, they have paid them, but we those on the field working, evidence is here, this is my updated message”.
Displaying his documents to the camera, he expressed his frustration, saying, “everything is successful, they can’t say I haven’t updated, everything is successful, they texted me message, it’s on my phone, that, thank you for successfully updated”.
He stressed that,that, although the message had it that he should ‘expect payment,’ now, nothing, as those who are not working, they are paying them.The aggrieved NaBCo beneficiary also said, “we don’t know the reason why we those at post they are not paying us. Our coordinators are aware, they have signed. This is the signature of my coordinator and that of the institution that I’m working”.
In January 2019, some NABCo recruits complained that they had not received their allowances since the program begun, but the Minister for Information, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah said the delay in the payment was due to inaccurate data on the payroll.
Yesterday, the Chief Executive Officer of the Nation Builders Corps (NaBCo), Dr. Ibrahim Anyars made known that, by the close of March this year, all employees under the program will receive new contracts that specifies when they are due to exit.
He made this disclosure on Starr FM’s breakfast show, Morning Starr, on Monday, March 11, 2019, explaining that, the scheme is facing challenges with beneficiaries taking french leave upon getting new employment.
He further stated that the program, which currently employees some 99,000 youth scheme is resorting technology to improve monitoring and efficiency.
“We have tasked every trainee to ensure that they get a smart phone to follow our online training programs as well. We are introducing a NaBCo app that will help us assess beneficiaries as they send us reports on work done. All beneficiaries are to have the App.
The NaBCo program is a government initiative to address graduate unemployment to solve social problems. The focus of the initiative will be solving public service delivery in health, education, agriculture, technology, governance and drive revenue mobilization and collection.